New use in the 1900s

As leprosy gradually became less prevalent in Norway, there was a lot of spare capacity at this large institution. At some point after 1900, the south wing was rented to the City of Bergen, which had too few places at Lungegården tuberculosis hospital, and was in operation at the neighbouring property from 1898 to 1956. In connection with this, curative facilities were established in the garden so that these patients could lie outside and get fresh air.

The hospital went on to develop a collaboration with schools of nursing, such as Betanien, allowing students to work at the hospital as part of their education.

In 1947, a number of rooms on the first floor of the north wing were also rented to the City for women with venereal disease. These residents did not have access to the courtyard or garden.

The dwindling number of residents with leprosy lived in the north wing. An effective treatment for leprosy was finally found when the sulfone drug Promin was taken into use in 1947. When the hospital was closed and the buildings taken over by the State Rehabilitation Institute in 1957, there were five remaining residents who had had leprosy. They had already spent many years there and wanted to stay. The last one of these residents passed away in 1973.

Pleiestiftelsen hospital. Cropped photo: Widerøe's Flyveselskap A/S. University of Bergen Library.
A curative facility set up between the two old leprosy hospitals, which has been expanded with a second floor, can be seen in this aerial photograph from the 1930s.
Photo: Widerøe’s Flyveselskap A/S. Detail. The University of Bergen Library.

Curative facility in the gardens of Pleiestiftelsen, down towards the old Lungegård Hospital, where a municipal hospital for tuberculosis patients was run from before 1900.
Photo: K. Knudsen & Co. Detail. The University of Bergen Library.
It appears that the curative facility between the two old leprosy hospitals was expanded to include a second floor in the second half of the 1930’s.
Photo: Widerøe’s Flyveselskap A/S. Detail. The University of Bergen Library.
The 1910 census included separate forms for each of the living units for the staff, the leprosy patients, and for tuberculosis patients and the staff associated with Lungegård Hospital. There were five rooms rented out at that time, where ten tuberculosis patients and several of the staff at Lungegården Hospital lived.

The first part of an agreement to lease rooms for a ward for women with venereal disease, dated 1947.
The Regional State Archives of Bergen.
All Rights Reserved